02 May 2021

Featured Artist: May 2021

 The May edition of pcPolyzine features polymer clay artist, Veda!


Veda is a polymer clay artist based in Russia. This very talented clay artist loves to create dragons, animals, and other whimsical creatures.

We wanted to learn more about Veda and here's what was shared with us:

pcPolyzine: How long have you been working with polymer clay?
Veda: I have been working with polymer clay since 2010. I found out about the material by accident when I walked into an art store for brushes and paint. The first clay I saw was Studio by Sculpeybright blocks that looked like plasticine caught my eye. But when I found out that it can be baked and it becomes hard, I realized that my childhood dream had come true!

When I sculpted from plasticine as a child, I really wanted to be able to make it as hard as stone and keep my workin its bright colors, small patterns, and details. From that day on, polymer clay captured me.

pcPolyzine: How do you come up with an idea for a project  do you plan it or just start working?
Veda: I rarely plan something specific, I usually improvise. First, I make a skeleton for the future figurine, roughly defining the type and pose of the animal that I will create. But, it happens that in the process of work, the biological species can change. After that, I select the base color and start the step-by-step work. Already by the final appearance of the molded figure, I determine the color and patterns.

pcPolyzine: What inspires you to create pieces in polymer clay?
Veda:  Everything inspires me. Animals, birds, insects, sea creatures, corals, plants, spiders, flowers and fruits, algae, and invertebrates. Interesting color combinations in things and interiors, natural phenomena, buildings and everything around. Each item inspires you to try something new, capture and convey emotion. 
 
pcPolyzine: Does your work have a theme or message?
Veda: Perhaps, with my work, I want to share my joy from the world in which we live. Let there be a lot of complex and bad in it, but at the same time, there is a lot of good, beautiful, unusual and delightful in it. I want other people to notice this too!

pcPolyzine: What's your favorite piece or project you've made in polymer clay?
Veda: It is difficult for me to choose one thing, all my projects were interesting and loved for me at the time of working on them. Particularly memorable are large and complex projects that have forced a lot of time to work, for example, Bayonet, Horace, or the Sun Dragon.

pcPolyzine: What are your favorite (or most important) tools you use when working with clay?
Veda:  I have very few tools that I use. I am one of those craftsmen who have enough knives, needles, and spatulas for all types of work.

pcPolyzine: Do you have any advice for new artists to polymer clay?
Veda: Look around and love what you do. Listen to advice only on the technical side of working with clay. And do not copy other masterslooking for your own path is always more interesting, and it will not lead you to a dead end.

pcPolyzine: Any final thoughts for our readers?
Veda: Give a positive!

pcPolyzine: Veda, your polymer clay critters are adorable. We are excited to share your work with the pcPolyzine community. Thank you for taking time to share with us!

To connect with Veda and see more of her work, check her out on FacebookInstagram, and through the website.

No comments: