01 September 2020

Featured Artist: September 2020

 The September edition of pcPolyzine features polymer clay artist, Andreea Corpodean!

Andreea Corpodean is a Romanian artist who shares her heart between her love for art and her desire to discover the world. She loves to make fairytale, fantasy, and nature-inspired notebook covers and jewelry. Andreea describes herself as having a severe obsession for details. She creates magical work under the name Wildflower.


We wanted to learn more about Andreea and here's what she shared with us:

pcPolyzine: How did you get into polymer clay?
Andreea: One day, as I was scrolling on Facebook, I stumbled across a Bored Panda article about the work of Mandarin Duck. I was so fascinated that one could do something like that out of polymer clay that I decided to give it a try myself. Before that, I only saw kind of childish creations made out of Fimo, so I thought that's all that polymer clay can do. I instantly loved working with it because it was fun and challenging at the same time. Art was always my passion, but I never imagined I'd get hooked on sculpting with clay.

pcPolyzine: How long have you been working with polymer clay?
Andreea: I began my polymer clay journey in late 2016, but I truly committed to polymer clay and creating with regularity only in 2019.

pcPolyzine: How do you come up with an idea for a project do you plan it or just start working?
Andreea: I find it more difficult to plan everything in advance, as most of my ideas pop up once I have the polymer clay in my hands. I usually have in mind one or more basic elements that I want to create (or HAVE to createbecause of my clients' requirements), but I need to start working in order to come up with ideas on how to combine them. I also like to try out different variations before I decide on the final design, so it's a pretty long process. And, I often get ideas for future projects while working on a certain projectwhen that happens, I take a piece of paper and make a quick sketch.

pcPolyzine: What inspires you to create pieces in polymer clay?
Andreea: I get most of my inspiration from nature, which is why I always try to include natural elements in my creations or in my work process (gemstones, seashells, leaves). Then I get my daily dose of inspiration just by scrolling through my Instagram feedI think it's very important to surround yourself with creative and talented people and share your work with each other. 
 
Some of my latest works have been in the direction of surrealism, so I can't not mention the influence that the work of Salvador Dalione of my favorite paintershad on me since high school. And, of course, my work will be probably forever inspired by the work of Mandarin Duck.

pcPolyzine: What's your favorite piece or project you've made in polymer clay?
Andreea: I think it's my dragonfly notebook cover because it was the creation that made me say, "Alright, I think I finally found my style."

pcPolyzine: Does your work have a theme or message?
Andreea:
It does. The main message would be that details matter and nature is magical. And then some works have their particular messages
hidden in symbols and colorswhich are usually a reflection of my emotions, thoughts, desires, dreams, fears, and so on.

pcPolyzine: What are your favorite (or most important) tools you use when working with clay?
Andreea: One of my favorite tools, that I use all the time, is an old cuticle pusher that was with me from the first thing I ever create. Back then, I didn't want to invest money in tools because I wasn't sure if I was going to like working with clay, so I tried to improvise with whatever I would find at home. 
 
At that time, I was living with my boyfriend in the house where his grandparents used to live, and one day I found this cuticle pusher tucked away in a drawer with other things that belonged to his grandparents, so I kind of stole it and decided that it was going to be my clay tool. I broke it four times, but kept gluing it back because I really enjoy working with it. Another tool that I absolutely love is a gum stimulator because it's perfect for tiny details. 
 
And, of course, I'm a big fan of my handsif they count as tools.

pcPolyzine: Do you have any advice for new artists to polymer clay?
Andreea: Join different polymer clay groups on Facebook and don't feel ashamed to share your work therethe encouragement from other people will keep you going and seeing the work of artists that are better than you will inspire you to progress. 
 
Also, chocolate is great when you get frustrated with polymer clay.

pcPolyzine: Any final thoughts for our readers?
Andreea: Don't hide your magic!

pcPolyzine: Andreaa, your work is indeed magical. We are excited to share your work with the pcPolyzine community. Thank you for taking time to share with us!

To connect with Andreea and see more of her work, check her out on Facebook, Instagram, and at her Etsy store.


No comments: