03 March 2022

Featured Artist: March 2022

The March 2022 edition of pcPolyzine features polymer clay artist, Fatima Turra!

Fatima Turra is a polymer clay artist located in Mumbai, India. She is also an Interior Designer by trade, a wife, and a mom. 

We wanted to learn more about Fatima and here's what she shared with us:

pcPolyzine: How did you get into polymer clay?
Fatima: I am an Interior Designer and was working full time. I took a maternity break in 2014 when my son was born. Being a new mom, I wasn't planning to go back to a full-time job, so I explored some other possibilities and came across polymer clay and decided to give it a try.

I ordered some clay from Amazon and starting playing around and there was no looking back!

pcPolyzine: How long have you been working with polymer clay?
Fatima: I've been working with polymer clay since 2014. I started with beads and now have designed a number of earrings, neck pieces, rings, bracelets, mugs, and home décor. Of all, I enjoy making accessories the most.

pcPolyzine: How do you come up with an idea for a projectdo you plan it or just start working?
Fatima: I'm always fascinated with colors that are available in polymer clay. I plan my color scheme and then just play around.

pcPolyzine: What inspires you to create pieces in polymer clay?
FatimaI take inspiration from everything around us, be it nature, architecture, shapes, or even everyday objects.
 
pcPolyzine: What's your favorite piece or project you've made in polymer clay?
Fatima: My favorite creation is Doodlewalirickshaw neck piece. It means rickshaw with doodles on it. 

It's a combination of many mixed media techniques including polymer clay, then I have painted it with acrylics and a fine coating of resin. Then, I finish it with pom-poms and ghunghroo to give it an indo-western look. It's also one of my best sellers.

pcPolyzine: What are your favorite (or most important) tools you use when working with clay?
FatimaMy cutters and blade tool. I feel it is the most important amongst all the tools. I have made many cutters on my own using scraps and even used some of my lil one's toys! 

Being in this business for the past few years, I totally believe in effective cost-cutting as all these things make a huge difference in running a business and it also set you apart.

pcPolyzine: Do you have any advice for new artists to polymer clay?
Fatima: It is one of the most amazing mediums and I believe it is here to stay! So, if you are new to this medium or planning to get into it, just believe in your instincts and keep playing.

pcPolyzine: Fatima, your work is gorgeous! We are excited to share your work with the pcPolyzine community. Thank you for taking time to share with us!

To connect with Fatima and see more of her work, check her out on Instagram!



No comments: