03 May 2022

Featured Artist: May 2022

The May 2022 edition of pcPolyzine features polymer clay artist, Emma Piggott!

Emma is a polymer clay artist from the United Kingdom as well as a mother to three children!

We wanted to learn more about Emma and here's what she shared with us:

pcPolyzine: How did you get into polymer clay?
Emma: I started playing with polymer clay in 2020. I was looking for an artistic outlet and remembered how I used to love making things out of Fimo when I was younger, so I bought myself a cheap pack of polymer clay and started creating from there. I practiced A LOT and watched MANY YouTube tutorials! I didn't want to start selling anything until I was confident in my craft.

pcPolyzine: How long have you been working with polymer clay?
Emma: I've been working with polymer clay for almost 2 years.

pcPolyzine: What inspires you to create pieces in polymer clay?
Emma: I am inspired hugely by fantasy (especially Lord of the Rings), landscapes, and flora and fauna. Many of my pieces are intricate scenes of landscapes that I make into wearable pieces of art. For instance, with my LOTR scene earrings I have designed miniature landscape/scenes from the films that are instantly recognizable to fans and made them into earrings. I always sketch my ideas first to get a sense of proportion and composition.
 
pcPolyzine: What's your favorite piece or project you've made in polymer clay?
Emma: My favorite piece I have made is the large depiction of Rivendell which I then made into a larger wall hanging...it was without a doubt my most challenging piece to date, but also the most satisfying!

pcPolyzine: What are your favorite (or most important) tools you use when working with clay?
Emma: My favorite tools are also the simplest tools. A few good shape cutters, a sharp knife, and a sharp needle point tool are things I use every day. Sculpey III is my go-to for intracate scene details as it's so soft and malleable, which is great for tiny details.

pcPolyzine: Do you have any advice for new artists to polymer clay?
Emma: My advice for new artists is to practice, practice, practice and find your own niche. There are many great artists out there, but the ones that truly stand out have followed their passion and stayed true to themselves with their art. Basically, don't follow the crowd!

pcPolyzine: Emma, your art is amazing! We are excited to share your work with the pcPolyzine community. Thank you for taking time to share with us!

To connect with Emma and see more of her work, check her out on Instagram or through her Etsy Store.



No comments: